An assortment of words and phrases as typed by me. It's not that I have anything to say, I just love the sound of my own typing...

Wednesday 27 October 2010

Getting ready for NaNoWriMo

Today is October 27
It’s approaching the end of the month, so of course I have a lot of things on my mind.  For example making sure I have recorded all of my hours at work; making sure I have paid all the bills due this month; finishing off my Australian tax return (all I have to do now is lodge it); and preparing for NaNoWriMo.

Last year my preparations for NaNoWriMo were pretty much non-existent.  I found out on the 1st of November and managed to type up almost 2,000 words in the first day.  I had no plot, nor did I really have any characters.  All I had was an introduction to a story which didn’t fully coalesce until a few days later.
So, in order to avoid the mistakes of last year I have spent the last few weeks and months preparing.  So, here is what I have done:
1. Read some books.  In the last couple of months I have managed to read an assortment of books including:
(I would like to thank my sister for introducing me to the Book Depository, which delivers books worldwide without charging postage and handling)


2. I have updated my author profile on the NaNoWriMo website


3. I have tried to blog more regularly in order to get back into the habit of writing (not very successfully)

4. Blocked most of my Facebook applications and installed Tweetdeck so I don’t get distracted

5. I have an idea for a story and the glimmerings of a plot (I don’t know if ‘glimmering’ is the right word here, but I’ve used it anyway)

6. Asked my wife if she minded I spend two or three hours a day sitting in front of the computer every night.  Funnily enough she didn’t seem to mind too much.

7. Downloaded the latest version of Scrivener.  The software of writers.



That’s it, I’m ready now.  Only a few more days to go before I start my next novel adventure.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really think I was prepared but I think I've done everything you've listed. Blogging everyday of October will definitely help!

    ReplyDelete